Calling all Western student artists!
We’re installing two murals in Waldo Library on the first floor and lower level. Interested Western student artists should review the request for proposals (RFP) and apply by August 2023.
The mural project is expected to be completed by January 8, 2024.
Waldo Library Mural Project Request for Proposals
To promote WMU student artists and add visual interest to the walls inside Waldo Library.
Western Michigan University Libraries seeks proposals from current WMU student artists to complete a mural for one of two large wall spaces in Waldo Library.
The murals, as works of public art, should complement the character of Waldo Library and the areas where they are located. Murals will be temporary installations but will be displayed for at least three years.*
Deadline for completion: January 8, 2024
The murals should be flat paintings, using University Facilities-approved paint (Sherwin Williams recommended) with no added texture or 3D appliques added to the walls. Selected artists must utilize approved paint types and supplies to protect carpets and furniture as determined by the University Libraries.
University Libraries will be responsible for having walls primed and areas ready before mural installation begins.
Artists agree to allow the WMU Libraries to take photos and record videos of themselves and their work in progress for promotion and marketing purposes.
Location 1: Waldo Library, first floor, central corridor
- Theme: Inspired by nature, the state of Michigan or Michigan’s indigenous peoples and tribal history.
- Dimensions: 21' 6" x 9'
Location 2: Waldo Library, lower level, near Tech Lab
- Theme: Inspired by technology, the future and advancement.
- Dimensions: 20' 9" x 9'
Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
Applications must be submitted by email to: Julie Garrison, Dean of University Libraries, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include the following:
- Statement of Interest (one page), including a proposed project timeline and schedule for completion
- Sketch of proposed mural and description of colors and list of materials/supplies required to complete the work
- 3-5 images of existing artwork that demonstrates the ability to complete a project of this style and scope
- Faculty recommendation
The following criteria will be used to determine the finalist selections:
- Submittal of all required proposal materials as outlined in this RFP
- Authenticity and originality of the proposed mural
- Design relevance to the site and fulfillment of the criteria outlined in the RFP
- Applicability of artwork to proposed themes and goals
- Feasibility of the project
- Verification of student enrollment status
Finalists will be notified by: August 18, 2023
$1500 for each mural (inclusive of artist compensation and all necessary supplies to complete the mural)
- Supplies to be purchased by WMU Libraries unless otherwise negotiated
- 30% (minus supplies) paid upon signing the contract and the remaining balance paid upon mutually agreed completion of the work
*Installation may be removed at any time at the discretion of the University Libraries.