Borrowing and Request Policy
You may borrow from the University Libraries if you are:
- A registered Western Michigan University student with a Bronco Card.
- A WMU faculty member, staff member or retiree with a Bronco Card.
- A guest borrower.
Library privileges may vary based on your status at Western Michigan University and the type of item. Renewals for eligible items may be placed online through your library account, over the phone or in person.
|Item type||University borrower||Guest borrower|
music CDs and LPs
|1 semester (2 renewals, up to 365 days)|
Faculty/Staff: Renewals up to 1,095 days
|14 days (2 renewals, up to 42 days)|
|Children's books (Waldo),|
|28 days (2 renewals)||14 days (2 renewals)|
|Reserve items||2 hours, 4 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, 7 days, 1 semester|
(renewal dependent on availability)
|Not available for use|
|Videos||14 days (1 renewal)||Not available for use|
|Lockers||1 semester (1 renewal)||Not available for use|
WMU students, faculty and staff may borrow up to 200 items. Guest borrowers may borrow up to 10 items.
You are guaranteed use of materials for at least 14 days. After that, University Libraries users may recall items you have checked out. You will get an email notification to return the item.
A lost fee will be applied five days after the recalled due date if the item has not been returned. Borrowing privileges will be suspended if you have one or more recalled item overdue.
Library materials must be returned complete with all parts, discs, booklets and other accompanying material. You will be charged full replacement costs for items returned without all accompanying material.
You can return items to one of the drop boxes near or at Waldo Library:
- Book return drop slot near outside doors of the library's front entrance.
- Inside the building in the first-floor lobby.
- Closed temporarily—Outside book return drop slot at the curb on Arcadia Street side of the building.
By mail or courier
You may ship or mail your items back to Waldo Library through:
- FedEx or UPS
- United States Postal Service (USPS) Priority Mail (trackable)
- USPS Library Rate (most affordable)
Our mailing/shipping address is:
Western Michigan University
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5353
Attn: User Services
- Courtesy—5 days before due date.
- Due Today—Early morning on day due.
- Overdue #1—7 days after due date.
- Overdue #2—38 days after due date. Alerts patron to return or renew (if allowed) items within 7 days to avoid stated "Lost Billing" fees ($75 lost item fee + $15 non-refundable processing fee).
- Overdue (Videos/Recalls/Reserves)—1 day after due date; only for reserves, recalls and videos. Alerts patron to return item within 4 days or it will be declared lost.
- Lost Billing—45 days after due date. Notice to patron of "Lost Billing" fee applied to University account.
- A final search is conducted for items prior to "Lost Billing."
- "Lost Billing" fees are transferred to your WMU account nightly.
- Please see payment options.
|Effective date of current version||July 16, 2019|
|Date first adopted||July 16, 2019|
July 16, 2019 - created