Each year, we gather statistics for the Association of College and Research Libraries and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) surveys. Here are some highlights from our 2017-18 fiscal year. Unless otherwise stated, they cover all branches of Western Michigan University Libraries.
The Libraries employed 24 librarians, 57 support staff and 37.25 student assistants to provide information services and resources for the WMU community.
Use and Services
- Library personnel handled 60,791 research queries in person, by phone and online.
- Librarians provided 552 instructional sessions and workshops reaching 12,793 participants.
- Annual gate count was 617,343 with about 13,841 people coming into the Libraries in an average week in Fall semester.
- 49,109 physical items were checked out during the year (not counting renewals).
- WMU Libraries borrowed 8,428 items for WMU users from other libraries and lent 22,237 from our collections to other libraries.
- The Libraries' website was visited 240,646 times.
- WMU users retrieved 1,055,279 articles and 1,012,277 e-books and media items.
- There were 1,677,900 downloads worldwide from WMU’s institutional repository (ScholarWorks).
- 2,251,852 pages were printed in the Libraries.
- Physical books (titles): 1,286,421
- Electronic books: 670,724
- Physical subscriptions (includes titles that are no longer active): 140,442
- Electronic subscriptions: 74,345
- Online databases: 662
- Physical media titles (audio/visual): 151,712
- Digital media titles: 207,885
- Items uploaded to WMU’s institutional repository: 6,838