Each year, we gather statistics for the Association of College and Research Libraries and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) surveys. Here are some highlights from our 2019-20 fiscal year. Unless otherwise stated, they cover all branches of Western Michigan University Libraries.
The Libraries employed 28 librarians, 50 support staff and 18 student assistants to provide information services and resources for the WMU community.
Use and Services
- Library personnel handled 26,217 research queries in person, by phone and online.
- Librarians provided 511 instructional sessions and workshops reaching 11,231 participants.
- Annual gate count was 597,958 with about 13,400 people coming into the Libraries in an average week in Fall semester.
- 30,774 physical items were checked out during the year (not counting renewals).
- WMU Libraries borrowed 7,078 items for WMU users from other libraries and lent 18,163 from our collections to other libraries.
- The Libraries' website was visited 152,186 times.
- WMU users retrieved 1,495,888 articles and 1,627,235 e-books and media items.
- There were 1,870,129 downloads worldwide from WMU’s institutional repository (ScholarWorks).
- 1,518,950 pages were printed in the Libraries.
- Physical books (titles): 1,238,585
- Electronic books: 1,174,219
- Physical subscriptions (includes titles that are no longer active): 142,387
- Electronic subscriptions: 142,705
- Online databases: 741
- Physical media titles (audio/visual): 143,047
- Digital media titles: 198,708
- Items uploaded to WMU’s institutional repository: 43,640