Level 1- Emerging
Students explore topics of interest broadly in order to develop and refine research questions.
- Create and modify a research plan as needed until sufficient information is gathered.
- Browse and freely explore search engines, textbooks, encyclopedias, and wikis to gather background information on a topic.
- Develop a preliminary question, opinion, or thesis on a topic.
Level 2- Developing
Students engage with deeper questions on specialized topics, including original research that contributes to the field of study.
- Revise question, opinion, or thesis as necessary in response to new information, including conflicting or alternate viewpoints.
- Develop an original research question which contributes to the body of knowledge in the discipline, profession, or community.