Welcome back to WMU! The University Libraries supports your research interests and teaching. Let's work together! Join our email list to stay updated on your library.
Teaching and academic support
Your students need research skills, not only for their courses but for their future careers. Here are five ways you can help your students get research ready this fall.
Textbook costs can be a barrier to student success. Check out our list of textbook alternatives and free resources for WMU faculty members.
Library workshops for students
We are hosting two workshop series for WMU students to help them enhance their academic and research skills.
Dates: October 10-14
Topics: citing sources, time management, using research in writing, and more. Eligible for Signature and SPuRs credit.
Dates: September – November 2022
Topics: Visualizing data, literature reviews, preparing for human subject research, scholarly publishing, and more.
Jump start your research
Looking for research funding opportunities?
You have access to the Foundation Directory courtesy of the Office of Research and Innovation and University Libraries. Search for grants, fellowships and other opportunities to support your research goals. Access the Foundation Directory.
Open access publishing support
We have agreements with two major publishers, Wiley and Cambridge University Press, to provide financial support for Western Michigan University researchers who publish in open access journals. Publishing open access gives your research more exposure, wider reach, higher citations and more downloads. Learn more about our agreements and open access publishing.
Research opportunities with the Libraries' distinctive collections
Access distinctive collections at the Zhang Legacy Collections Center on Oakland Drive, including the WMU Archives, Regional History Collection, and Special Collections. Our expert staff preserves these primary resources and helps researchers navigate our rich collections. Contact Zhang to get started.
Services for researchers
- Set up a consultation with our data librarian to discuss data management plans and datasets.
- Connect with our maps specialist for a custom map for your research.
- Consult with your subject librarian for in-depth research support.
- Share your work in Scholarworks, WMU's institutional repository.
Reminders for Fall 2022
Waldo Library is open and the go-to place to study on campus
- Waldo Library is open early and late and has 100+ computer stations and collaborative and quiet study spaces. Check our hours.
- Reserve group and individual study rooms online or drop in to see what's available.
- Need help? Chat online, call, email or stop by Waldo Library's service desk in the first-floor lobby.
- Our Virtual Reality, Flight Simulator, and 3D printing labs are free for students!
Waldo Library's lower level is under construction
We're refreshing Waldo Library's lower level to make it better for you! We plan to reopen the floor later this fall. Until then, remember:
- Floors 1, 2 and 3 are open, and there's plenty of study space available.
- The lower-level print collections (call letters Q-Z) are unavailable during construction, but you can still access these materials by placing an ILL request.
- The Respondus Testing Room, Multimedia and Learning Glass studios, and Virtual Reality, Flight Simulator, and 3D printing labs have temporarily moved to floor 2. Learn more about these services.