"Studies in Iconography" (ISSN 0148-1029, e-ISSN 2693-8456) is an annual journal hosted by the Index of Medieval Art and published in partnership with Medieval Institute Publications. It presents innovative work on the meaning of images from the medieval world broadly construed, between the fourth century to the year 1600. Past articles have addressed subjects as diverse as Byzantine fresco programs, Carolingian architectural diagrams, Gothic rent books, Jewish ritual images, and Islamicate stucco ornament. We encourage article submissions that offer interdisciplinary, theoretical, or critical perspectives. Works of both established and emerging scholars are welcome. Reviews of selected books on iconography and art history are included in every volume.
MIP also publishes the journal's associated book series, Studies in Iconography: Themes and Variations.
- Diliana Angelova, University of California - Berkeley
- Pamela A. Patton, Princeton University
Book Review Editor
- Kirk Ambrose, University of Colorado
Editorial Advisory Board
- Annemarie Weyl Carr, Southern Methodist University, Emerita
- Mark Cruse, Arizona State University
- Blake de Maria, Santa Clara University
- María Judith Feliciano, Independent Scholar and Director, "Medieval Textiles in Iberia and the Mediterranean"
- Elina Gertsman, Case Western Reserve University
- Beatric Kitzinger, Princeton University
- Eva Hoffman, Tufts University
- Katrin Kogman-Appel, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster
- Debra Higgs Strickland, University of Glasgow
- Thelma Thomas, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University
Please see submission guidelines given at the journal's ScholarWorks page.
contents of previous issues
See the contents of previous volumes published by Medieval Institute Publications.
pricing and subscriptions
"Studies in Iconography" is published annually in print and digital formats. Journal subscriptions and orders of individual issues are handled by our distributor, ISD. Subscription pricing is as follows:
- Student/retiree/independent scholar subscriptions are $20 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, or $30 for both print and online formats.
- Individual subscriptions are $35 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, or $45 for both print and online formats.
- Institution or library subscriptions are $80 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, and $105 for both print and online formats.