"ROMARD" (ISSN 0098-647X, eISSN 2693-8472) is a peer-reviewed journal sponsored by the Medieval and Renaissance Drama Society (MRDS) and published by Medieval Institute Publications on an annual basis. With over three decades of operation, the journal is dedicated to the dissemination and discussion of bold interdisciplinary approaches, methodologies, and conceptualizations regarding the study of drama, performance, theatre, and theatricality from pre-modernity (500–1650). Additionally, ROMARD seeks work that expands the exploration of the dramatic impulses, theatrical phenomena, and performative material of the past, encompassing global cultures and histories. We invite full-length articles that challenge and/or re-examine established narratives, definitions, documentation, and ontologies concerning historical performance(s) and theatricality. Articles submitted may include—but are not limited to—archival research, historiographical analysis, literary criticism, performance theory, performance-as or performance-based research, historical dramaturgy, productions census, or efforts in translation of source materials.
ROMARD will publish volume 58 in 2021, which will be the first with Medieval Institute Publications and the first volume of the journal available in print and online editions.
- Kyle A. Thomas, Missouri State University, Chief Editor
- Sarah Jane Brazil, University of Geneva
- Lofton L. Durham, Western Michigan University
- Penelope Geng, Macalester College
- Maura Giles-Watson, University of San Diego
- Douglas W. Hayes, Lakehead University
- Mary Hayes, The University of Mississippi
- Emily Mayne, The University of Edinburgh
- Matthew Sergi, University of Toronto
- Elizabeth E. Tavares, The University of Alabama
- Paul Whitfield White, Purdue University
- Clare Wright, University of Kent
- Erika Lin, City University of New York
"ROMARD" is currently seeking submissions for publication. Anyone may submit original work to be considered for publication provided that they hold the authorized copyright for the work. "ROMARD" welcomes submissions of:
- Full-length articles (8,000-10,000 words, including notes)
- Emerging Scholarship, Work in Development, & New Voices (5,000-8,000 words, including notes)
- Performance Reviews (1,500-3,000 words, including notes)
- Census of Productions
- Translations or Critical Editions of Performance Texts and other Source Materials
PRICING and subscriptions
"ROMARD" is published annually in print and digital formats. Journal subscriptions and orders of individual issues are handled by our distributor, ISD. Subscription pricing is as follows:
- Student/retiree/independent scholar subscriptions are $20 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, or $30 for both print and online formats.
- Individual subscriptions are $35 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, or $45 for both print and online formats.
- Institution or library subscriptions are $80 for print-only or online-only annual subscriptions, and $105 for both print and online formats.