Due to high demand, students applying for Aviation Flight Science must apply for the Fall semester and complete their applications by the established deadline to be considered for admission into the program. Admission decisions for students applying to the flight science program will be released after each deadline has passed. Students seeking re-admission will be reviewed on a case by case bases. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
A completed application, fee or waiver, and all required transcript(s) must be received by the following dates:
Process for a Flight Slot Consideration
Academic standing REQUIREMENTS
Math Requirement (All Students)
Math 1100 passed or a Math Placement Assessment of MATH 1110 or higher
Current WMU Students
Minimum GPA requirement is based on the student's University Catalog* year:
- (University Catalog 2019/2020 and after) Minimum 2.75 Cumulative WMU GPA and 3.0 College of Aviation GPA
- (University Catalog 2018/2019) Minimum 2.50 Cumulative WMU GPA
- (University Catalog 2017/2018 or prior) Minimum 2.00 Cumulative WMU GPA
* A student's University Catalog year can be found in Degree Works through GoWMU
Minimum 3.0 transfer GPA from prior institution(s)
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA
Please Note: To remain on active flight status, all students must maintain the minimum GPA requirements listed under "Current WMU Student" listed above for their University Catalog.
faa Medical certificate REQUIREMENT - (click here for more info)
Students must possess a valid FAA First or Second Class medical certificate at the time of application
- A copy of your valid FAA First or Second Class medical must be uploaded with this application or your application will not be accepted.
Third Class medicals are not acceptable for flight training at WMU.
A medical certificate may be currently Third Class privileges as long as it was originally issued as a First or Second Class.
- WMU highly recommends all students obtain a First Class FAA medical certificate if they have never held one before to ensure they meet the standards.
FAA Pilot Certificates held prior to wmu
Private Pilot Certificate (or higher) Held
- You must upload a copy of your pilot certificate with your application for your application to be accepted.
- Initial flight training will be into our Transition Flight Course to place you properly into our curriculum.
Currently Working on Private Pilot Certificate
- You must provide WMU with a copy of your Private Pilot Certificate by the application deadline to be considered for the Transition Course. Acceptance into the Transition Course after the application deadline is on a space-available basis.
- You may request to complete your Private Pilot Certificate at WMU by taking our Private Pilot courses.
Student Pilot Certificate Held (No Private)
- If you have an FAA Student Pilot Certificate you will be required to upload a copy of it during the application process.
- If you do not have an FAA Student Pilot Certificate we will assist you in obtaining one from the FAA after your application is accepted.
2022 FALL FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately June 1st, 2022, Deadline: July 1st, 2022
2022 SPRING FLIGHT APPLICATION Application Deadline: October 15th, 2021 (Application submission may be available after the deadline but will receive a lower priority. Application may close at any time after the deadline.)
2022 SUMMER I FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately January 15th, 2022, Deadline: February 15th, 2022
2022 SUMMER II FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately March 15th, 2022, Deadline: April 15th, 2022