Academic standing REQUIREMENTS
Math Requirement (All Students)
- Minimum ACT Math Score 20, or Minimum SAT Math Score 520, or Math Placement of MATH 1110 or higher
Current WMU Students
Minimum GPA requirement is based on the student's University Catalog* year:
- (University Catalog 2018/2019 or beyond) Minimum 2.75 Cumulative WMU GPA and 3.0 College of Aviation GPA
- (University Catalog 2017/2018) Minimum 2.50 Cumulative WMU GPA
- (University Catalog 2016/2017 or prior) Minimum 2.00 Cumulative WMU GPA
* A student's University Catalog year can be found in Degree Works through GoWMU
Minimum 3.0 transfer GPA from prior institution(s)
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA, and
- Minimum ACT 21 or SAT 1070
Please Note: To remain on active flight status, all students must maintain the minimum GPA requirements listed under "Current WMU Student" listed above for their University Catalog.
faa Medical certificate REQUIREMENT - (click here for more info)
Students must possess a valid FAA First or Second Class medical certificate at time of application
- A copy of your valid FAA First or Second Class medical must be uploaded with this application or your application will not be accepted.
Third Class medicals are not acceptable for flight training at WMU.
Medical certificate may be currently Third Class privileges as long as it was originally issued as a First or Second Class.
- WMU highly recommends all students obtain a First Class FAA medical certificate if you have never held one before to ensure you meet the standards.
FAA Pilot Certificates held prior to wmu
Private Pilot Certificate (or higher) Held
- You must upload a copy of your pilot certificate with your application for your application to be accepted.
- Initial flight training will be into our Transition Flight Course to place you properly into our curriculum.
Currently Working on Private Pilot Certificate
- You must provide WMU with copy of your Private Pilot Certificate by the application deadline to be considered for the Transition Course. Acceptance into the Transition Course after the application deadline is on space available basis.
- You may request to complete your Private Pilot Certificate at WMU by taking our Private Pilot courses.
Student Pilot Certificate Held (No Private)
- If you have a FAA Student Pilot Certificate you will be required to upload a copy of it during the application process.
- If you do not have a FAA Student Pilot Certificate we will assist you in obtaining one from the FAA after your application is accepted.
2019 FALL FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately April 16th, 2019, Deadline: July 1st, 2019
2020 SPRING FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately September 11th, 2019, Deadline: October 15th, 2019
2019 SUMMER I FLIGHT APPLICATION Application Open - Deadline: February 18th, 2019 (Applications may be submitted after the deadline but will receive a lower priority)
2019 SUMMER II FLIGHT APPLICATION Not Available Yet - Application opens approximately March 15th, 2019, Deadline: April 15th, 2019