Western Michigan University runs a week long summer camp focusing on the exciting field of aviation. Previous Aviation Summer Camps have been a great success filled with good memories, friends, flying, and exceptional content! Please take a moment to see what Aviation Summer Camp is all about.
Aviation Summer Camps are an awesome opportunity for high school students (rising 9th graders - 12th) to experience many aspects of aviation. This is an overnight camp. Campers will be housed in our Western Heights residence hall and meals are included with the camp fee. Three camp options are available:
- Aviation Summer Camp: this camp is designed to immerse students into the industry of aviation. In addition to spending three to five hours in the air, students will explore aviation career opportunities in piloting, airports, air traffic control, maintenance repair overhaul facilities, and operation centers. Participants will also get to interact and network with WMU alumni and industry representatives, engage in hands-on activities while also experiencing life on a major university's campus. This summer camp is open to all levels of interest. However, it is especially beneficial to those who are considering aviation as a possible career choice, but have never fully investigated the aviation industry.
- Aviation Maintenance Camp: for students who have an interest in how airplanes work, what is behind the instrument panel, and the systems that keep airplanes flying, this is their camp. In the Aviation Maintenance Camp, students will experience first hand activities with a modern day airframe and powerplant technician. Aircraft maintenance, engine run-ups, advanced structures, non-destructive testing procedures and processes, and experience with aircraft systems are just some of the hands-on activities the campers will engage in. Registration for this camp is limited and will close on May 31.
- Advanced Flight Camp: students with flight experience, or who have already experienced a WMU Aviation Summer Camp are eligible for Advanced Aviation Flight Camp. This camp will enhance the knowledge already gained in previous aviation experiences and prepare participants for a more in-depth career oriented/experienced environment. Participants will immerse themselves in all things flight - experiencing nearly every aircraft in operation at Western Michigan University: Cirrus SR20, Piper Seminole, Cirrus SR20 simulator, CRJ-200 simulator and more. Participants must have previously attended a WMU aviation summer camp (or a similar aviation experience) or completed the initial solo of their private pilot training. Participants must have also completed at least one year of high school. Spots are limited, so early sign-up is recommended.
After consultation with our university leadership, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our upcoming 2020 aviation summer camps. While disappointing, we feel that this is in the best interest of everyone's health and safety. Sign up below to be notified when registration for 2021 summer camps goes live!
In 2021, two weeks of camp will be offered:
- June 27-July 2: Aviation Summer Camp and Aviation Maintenance Camp
- July 11-16: Aviation Summer Camp and Advanced Flight Summer Camp
Each week, check-in will begin on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. at the Western Heights residence halls in Kalamazoo. The camp will conclude on Friday at 5:00 p.m. at the College of Aviation in Battle Creek.
- Aviation Summer Camp: $1,595
- Aviation Maintenance Summer Camp: $1,595
- Advanced Flight Summer Camp: $2,495
- A camp scholarship application is available for a maximum award of $500.
- Registration for the camps will open on Monday, January 4th at noon EST.
- Space is limited, so early registration is strongly recommended. Camp slots are awarded on a first come, first serve basis, based on the submission time of the registration form and deposit.
- A $500 non-refundable deposit is required to secure a camper position, in addition to completing a registration form, student biographical essay, and medical information and waivers.
If you cannot find the answer to your question on our FAQs or for specific concerns, please contact Reina Cooke at firstname.lastname@example.org.