Perception is the Product

Posted by Matthew Bila on

Published by Shelbi Tierney on Mon, Feb 29, 2016

Miguel Del Rosario
Aviation Maintenance Technology

Before I share my ideas as to the importance of being detail oriented in daily tasks, I’d like to quote one of my favorite books that explains why perception is the product in any organization.

“Why is it that Casio can sell a calculator more cheaply that Kellogg’s can sell a box of corn flakes? Why can FedEx absolutely, positively deliver your package overnight but airlines have trouble keeping track of your bags? What does your company do better than anyone else? What unique value do you provide to your customers? How will you increase that value next year? As customers’ demands for the highest quality products, best services, and lowest prices increase daily, the rules for market leadership are changing”.  -The Discipline of Market Leaders, Michael Treacy

In my case, as an aviation ambassador from the prestigious institution of higher education, Western Michigan University, I certainly take pride in my duties by representing my university.  Exemplifying every quality and opportunity that has been offered to me is something that I value as a college student.

About two years ago when I got hired as an aviation ambassador, our team leader always promoted the attention to detail and understanding that “Perception is the Product."  Looking back, I didn’t quite get the meaning of it entirely at the time, but fast forwarding a couple years later, it all started coming together. I started getting to know more and more people around the college and began understanding what the competition was doing in comparison to WMU College of Aviation.  In an effort to keep the highest standards of the job that we perform within the recruitment and outreach office, we ride with our creed where perception is the product, in order to keep excelling within the collegiate aviation community.