My Transition from WMAA to WMU

Posted by Matthew Bila on

Published by Dennis Muli on Wed, Oct 05, 2016

Aviation High School

Hello my name is Tyler Herndon and I am a flight student at Western Michigan University College of Aviation. I am a first generation pilot that has been involved in aviation since my freshman year of high school. Having been introduced to aviation in high school, my transition into the aviation program was much smoother.

My start into aviation was through the school of West Michigan Aviation Academy located in Grand Rapids. This is where my foundation of aviation was built and the reason I’ve gone head over heels into the career field. Obtaining my Private pilot license in high school gave me leverage coming into the flight program.

The training received at West Michigan Aviation Academy led me to Western Michigan University, where my skills continue to grow. The transition course required by Western for private pilots starting flight training at the college was a fast ten lessons. During these lessons I learned the Cirrus SR20 inside and out. My training in a Cessna 172SP in high school paired perfectly with Western’s operations and expectations when flying.

The opportunity I had in high school is a rare one but is worth the investment to get me closer to my dream of flight. My advice to high school students interested in aviation is two things. For a start find events or activities that allow you to get hands on with the career field and meet individuals that could help you further down the road. Secondly look for a flight school around you at a local airport or a community college that would transfer credits to Western.