The WMU College of Aviation is seeking highly qualified and motivated individuals who are willing to train for their FAA flight instructor certificate at WMU and then teach for WMU once FAA certification is obtained. To facilitate this, WMU CoA will provide scholarship funds to an undetermined number of flight instructor candidates. Award recipients must use the funds to offset training costs for their flight instructor certificate. Training will be conducted during the Fall 2023 semester.
The CoA is providing these scholarships with the understanding that award recipients will reinvest in the college through employment as a flight instructor. At the time of hire, the scholarship recipient will be required to sign a training agreement valued at $4,000.00 and requiring 400 billable hours of instruction. The training agreement is complete once the employee/scholarship recipient gives 400 billable hours of instruction to WMU students.
- Have previously completed AVS 4030 – Flight Instructor Fundamentals or take it concurrently during the Fall 2023 semester
- Cumulative university/college GPA of 2.75 or higher at time of application
- Hold an FAA commercial pilot certificate with airplane single engine land and instrument ratings at least one week prior to CFI flight course start date
- Hold a valid FAA medical that will allow the applicant to exercise at least third class privileges
- U.S. Citizen or non-citizen with eligibility to work in the United States
- Preference will be given to those applicants that have completed their FAA commercial pilot training at WMU
- Prerequisites must be met by August 23, 2023.
Application deadline is midnight on July 23, 2023.
- Required to enroll in AVS 4060 so that scholarship award can be posted against fees
- Must have good availability throughout the week during the semester and be available for training at night. It is expected that you complete the courses in one semester.
Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the recipient’s ETA/Banner account. Funds can be used for tuition, flight training and other directly related expenses to the flight instructor training. Payments or reimbursements from the University to students may impact financial aid budgets
To apply you will be required to upload the following:
- Copy of your driving record
- Resume (include any volunteer experience, involvement in any social or professional organization)
- A 300-700 word essay, typed and double spaced, addressing the following topics:
- How does a flight instructor certificate fit into your overall career objectives?
- Who was the best flight instructor you have flown with and what made that instructor the best?
- Why are you the most qualified candidate for the WMU Flight Instructor Training Course Scholarship?
Fall 2023 Application Open until midnight on July 23, 2023