The Perfect Landing for Eli Lantz – WMU’s College of Aviation

WMU Aviation Management and Operations Student Eli Lantz
Posted by Tom Thinnes on

Each fall, hundreds of enrollees choose Western Michigan University because they are convinced that a career in aviation is for them.

Not so for Eli Lantz.  It was the WMU College of Aviation itself that did the convincing.

Hailing from the area around the Capitol City of Lansing, Lantz says he had "a life-long interest in aviation, but I never thought I would make it a career until I learned about Western's aviation school."
Request Information About the WMU College of Aviation
Now in his senior year, he's majoring in aviation management and operations, complementing that with a minor in general business.  "When I learned that Western had this specialized program, I knew it would be a good fit for me."

It's turned out that way.  In addition to his studies, Lantz has been involved with the Aviation Student Council, the Western Student Association, and the WMU chapter of the American Association of Airport Executives.  Add to that participation in the Bronco Marching Band and the Residence Housing Association, the student organization focused on residence life, Lantz has always had plenty to keep him busy.  "At sometimes, it feels like too much," he admits.

When the College of Aviation and campus life are not beckoning, Lantz spends his time as a ground employee for the Delta Airlines operation at the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport servicing passengers and their baggage.  Having been employed in the opportunity over the past two years, "Has been enlightening because I am exposed to so many aspects of the aviation industry outside of just the classroom perspective."

But he's appreciated the latter as well, especially the course in airline administration taught by Professor William Homan and featuring a hands-on learning approach.  "You get to create and run your own airline," Lantz says.  "I enjoyed learning about all the content because it was so applicable to me."

Writers and public speakers are advised to avoid cliches, but Lantz is of the opinion that if one fits, use it.  And he does when talking about what soon will become his alma mater.

"My favorite part is often remarked as being very cliche," he says, "but I genuinely mean it.  The people are the best part about WMU.  It's the community.  WMU wouldn't be what it is without the people who really drive to make it a better place.  There are so many motivated and passionate people at WMU.  They are Western."

However, one of WMU's most challenging days in its history may stick with Lantz for the rest of his life.  "My most memorable experience at WMU was the great flood of 2017 when the football field at Waldo Stadium flooded on homecoming weekend."   But challenging that perspective are the many student outings in which he engaged and "knowing people who share the same interest in aviation that I do."

Once his book-learning days are done, Lantz wants to work for an airline "or air-service developer in some aspect.  Long term, I hope to work in the corporate sector for an airline or even a government regulatory agency."

Whatever the outcome, Lantz will be a lifetime Bronco, thanks to the College of Aviation.