Finding His Footing – Calvin Freeland Lands in the Right Career

WMU Aviation Technical Operations Student Calvin Freeland
Posted by Tom Thinnes on

An effective motivational speaker might say something like this -- Look at the options.  Take one of them and, if it doesn't fit, don't be afraid to choose another option.

For Calvin Freeland, the second option was a first cousin of the first.

"When I enrolled at the Western Michigan University College of Aviation," he says about what amounts to an unusual switcheroo, "I majored in flight science.  But when I decided it was not the lifestyle I wanted, I changed to the program in aviation technical operations.  I have felt at home ever since.

Request Info about the WMU College of Aviation

WMU College of Aviation Aircraft Fleet of Cirrus SR 20s

"It wasn't an easy decision to make," says the 2018 graduate of Kalamazoo Central High School that is based in WMU's southwest Michigan home community, "but it truly came down to my future and what would be better for me as a person.

"All of the programs offered here are amazing," says Freeland, who is a WMU junior enrolled in his second year of aviation-maintenance courses. "I just happened to find my calling a little later.  I am more than happy with the fact that I decided to make the call that I did because I truly ended up where I felt I was meant to be."

Not reticent to continue with an inward analysis that is so beneficial to any person, Freeland says:  "I began in the college's summer-advantage program of 2018 with flight and continued to fly until the following summer.  I was most of the way through my private course, but just felt that I needed to change before I spent more money on something that I wasn't going to do.  After many conversations and meetings, I decided to halt flight training and switch to technical operations in the fall of 2019."  

Because he's a self-admitted "nerd," Freeland initially considered a career in aeronautical engineering "because I thought it would be awesome to design and work on planes."  Once navigating this kind of a career path, Freeland attended one of the summer camps offered by Western's College of Aviation.  Quite an adventure.

"I got to fly for the first time," he recalls.  Imagine -- never being in a plane before, cavorting in the sky, and then getting a chance to be behind the controls (with an instructor obviously right there).

Sunset at the Battle Creek Executive Airport, home to the WMU College of Aviation

Freeland was hooked.  "I realized how much I loved being in the air," he says, "and how enticing the aviation industry seemed to be."

What kind of opportunities were available for a young person looking for career guidance?  Thanks to the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Services Agency (K-RESA) and its Education for Employment (EFE) program, there are plenty.  EFE provides a jump-start in career and college choices for all levels of K-12 students.  It offers on-the-job exposure under the guidance of professionals and technicians in scores of occupations.

Because of his EFE connection through Kalamazoo Central High School, Freeland was able to spend half days at the Air Zoo Aerospace and Science Museum in his home town.  "This is what truly made me realize how much I loved the industry by actually having a class centered on it," says Freeland who admits to a secondary reason for appreciating this kind of opportunity.  That's where he met his future wife.

Choice of higher education was just about set in concrete early on for Freeland.  The hometown WMU College of Aviation is globally renowned -- for starters.  Its facilities are unparalleled.  There was the exhilarating summer-camp experiences there, which then led to the Air Zoo.  And finally, the factor that kept him in his home state -- the Kalamazoo Promise, the first-of-its-kind, higher-education incentive that sends Kalamazoo Public Schools graduates to colleges, universities and technical-training centers in Michigan with free tuition.

The WMU College of Aviation Powerplant Lab

Freeland is certain he's on the right career path.  An indicator of that is the lab course in reciprocating engine systems taught by faculty specialist Nate Lisak.  "I love his hands-on approach and the fun we had in the class.  It's all part of the sense of community I feel at the College of Aviation.  One thing I know for certain.  I want to work on aircraft engines and their maintenance."

When Freeland is not donning his shop garb, he's a camera buff.  Photography ranks as his prominent hobby outside of aviation.  "I feel that I have a natural talent with a camera."

Time for shameless plug, he says.  Check out @calvinfreeland on Instagram.