Bronco Connect Community
College is a journey of self-discovery, and you may be like a lot of students who are still deciding what your destination will be. The Bronco Connect Community is a place where you can find belonging, that encourages exploration, navigate personal and academic interests and engage with campus programs and resources. It's designed to help you transition to college life with a strong social support network, support your well-being and set the stage for success.
Located in Fox Hall, this community is for recipients of the Empowering Futures Housing Scholarship, made possible by the Empowering Futures Gift. Scholarship recipients are able to live with a non-scholarship roommate in the Living Learning Community (LLC).
- The Advance, an included three-day bridge-to-college program to help you make friends and transition to the University.
- Regular social programming including Living Learning Community family dinners to build relationships and sense of belonging within the LLC and greater University.
- An experience that incorporates your lived experiences and cultural identities so that you can thrive at WMU.
- Weekly opportunities to help you discover and explore your purpose.
- Career development programming that helps you explore and find your ideal major and career path fit.
- On-site computer lab and common areas for studying, as well as access to a Student Success Center, open 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, for tutoring in math and science classes.
The Empowering Futures Housing Scholarship is $6,000 applied to housing and dining costs. It is a need-based scholarship for Michigan residents that can be maintained for two years. Preference will be given to admitted first-year or new transfer students who attend Kalamazoo Public Schools or have a Detroit or Grand Rapids address. Applications open Dec. 1 and are due in March 31, 2023. Decisions will be released in April. Students must also complete the FAFSA.
Scholarship recipients must live in the Bronco Connect Community or one of Western's other Living Learning Communities. Maintaining the scholarship requires regular participation in Empowering Futures events.