Subject: Residence halls close for holiday recess
The residence halls close for holiday recess 7 p.m. Friday, December 15. They reopen at 10 a.m. Saturday, January 6, and food service resumes Monday, Jan. 8. WMU and the housing office closes 5 p.m. December 21 and reopens 9 a.m. January 3, 2024.
If you are coming back this spring:
You do not need to move out of your room. Take home the things you will need over break and secure your room. To prevent pests, take out your trash and recycling, remove food that will spoil, clean dishes left in the room, and close and lock your windows. Unplug non-essential electrical items. Access to your hall will not be available Dec. 16 to Jan. 6.
Staff will be doing supervised room checks beginning 7 p.m. Dec. 15. The checks are for maintenance and safety inspections, and they are done while still respecting your privacy.
Residence halls reopen Saturday, Jan. 6 at 10 a.m. You may return then or any time thereafter.
If you are not returning to WMU:
- Request to cancel your housing contract. Sign into the housing portal and fill out the cancellation request. You will receive an email regarding your cancellation status. The portal is located at https://hms.reslife.wmich.edu/Page/Portal.
- Empty, clean and wipe down your part of the room as well as the bathroom (suites). Return your bed to itsoriginal set-up position.
- Contact Bedloft to return any EcoMaxes rented for the year (bedloft.com/).
- Return your room key via the established process in your hall. The hall office or your RA can give you information.
- Change your mail forwarding information on GoWMU.
If your roommate moves out:
If your roommate leaves, please keep the second half of the room open for new students joining us in January. They will move in starting January 6. You will not receive notice if a new roommate is assigned to you. Instead, you can check on the housing portal under “View my spring assignment”.
Applications for 2024-25 Resident Assistant positions are live. Contact your hall’s graduate assistant to inquire about desk staff vacancies.
Change your meal plan for Spring:
If you have questions, please contact us at WMUemail@example.com or 269-387-4735.
Good luck on finals and enjoy break!