Subject: Residence halls close for holiday recess
The residence halls close for holiday recess 7 p.m. Friday, December 17. They reopen at 10 a.m. Saturday, January 8, and food service resumes Monday, Jan. 10. WMU and the housing office will be closed starting December 24 and reopens January 4, 2022.
If you are coming back this spring:
You do not need to move out of your room. Take home the things you will need over break and secure your room. To prevent pests, take out your trash and recycling, remove food that will spoil, clean dishes left in the room, and close and lock your windows. Unplug non-essential electrical items. Access to your hall will not be available Dec. 18 to Jan. 7.
Staff will be doing supervised room checks beginning 7 p.m. Dec. 17. The checks are for maintenance and safety inspections, and they are done while still respecting your privacy.
Residence halls reopen Saturday, Jan. 8 at 10 a.m. You may return then or any time there after.
If you are not returning to WMU:
- Request to cancel your housing contract. Sign into the housing portal and fill out the cancellation request. You will receive an email regarding your cancellation status. The portal is located at GoWMU >> My Self Service >> All Links>>Residence Life Housing.
- Empty, clean and wipe down your part of the room as well as the bathroom (suites). Return your bed to its original set-up position.
- Make arrangements with Bedloft to return any MicroFridges (www.bedloft.com).
- Return your room key via the established process in your hall. The hall office or your RA can give you information.
- Change your mail forwarding information on GoWMU.
If your roommate moves out:
If your roommate leaves, please keep the second half of the room open for new students joining us in January. They will move in starting January 8. If you get a new roommate, you will receive an email right before the residence halls reopen.
Applications for 2022-23 resident assistants and learning community assistants are live. Contact your hall’s graduate assistant to inquire about desk staff vacancies. Applications for resident managers in the WMU apartments are live in the housing portal.
Change your meal plan for Spring:
Students can change their spring meal plan once between Dec. 1 and Jan. 29, 2022. Changes are done via the housing portal (GoWMU >> My Self Service >>All Links>> Residence Life Housing).
If you have questions, please contact us at WMUemail@example.com or 269-387-4735.
Good luck on finals and enjoy break!