Residence Hall Billing

For information on how billing is done, please refer to Accounts Receivable and Cashiering.

Housing rates


Rent is billed by the semester to WMU student accounts. If applicable, financial aid may be applied to WMU student accounts toward housing charges. Consult with Financial Aid if you have questions. For payment plan information, please contact Accounts Receivable. Payments can be made with Bronco Express in the lower level of the Bernhard Center or online through your GoWMU account. Checks should be made payable to Western Michigan University.

Direct payment methods

Housing payment is due on the first of each month unless you have opted to pay by semester. If you have chosen the monthly payment option, the recommended payment methods are to go to Bronco Express in the Bernhard Center or pay online through your GoWMU account. Checks should be made payable to Western Michigan University.

Additional charges

Miscellaneous charges may be incurred during a student’s stay. Common examples are:

  • Replacing lost keys (includes changing key cores for safety)
  • Damages
  • Trash in the hallway
  • Improper checkout

When necessary, these miscellaneous charges are posted on a student’s account as a separate item. Usually they occur during the year, but some students incur additional expenses when they check out of their room.

Charges After Move-out

Part of moving out is a hall staff member checking the room with the resident after the room is cleaned and personal possessions removed. Rooms must be returned to a condition and safety level comparable to that existing at the beginning of occupancy; reasonable wear and tear excepted. The student staff member that goes through this checkout process with your student does not have the final say on damages to the room. Later, the hall professional staff also checks the room. Residents are held responsible for and reimburse the University for damages to the room or furniture.