Ackley/Shilling is a relaxed building with a mixture of first year, transfer and returning students. The residents are an active group, so there’s always something happening or people about. Parking is nearby, which is perfect for aviation students living in the Aviation House. Shilling Hall transfer residents live in single rooms that are provided at a discounted rate during their first academic year at WMU. Ackley residents can choose a room-only option, and the hall's kitchen makes it easy to prepare your own food.
- New for fall 2020: Aviation House is moving to Ackley Hall.
- Shilling transfer student community (eligibility: 14 transfer credits and at least 20 years old or 21 transfer credits; veteran)
- Ackley: Room-only option (residents may elect not to purchase a dining plan).
- Coed floors with suites assigned by gender
- Card access system for interior and exterior doors
- Dining center located within the Valley neighborhood
Walking time to:
- Valley Dining Center – 7 minutes
- Bernhard Center – 10 minutes
- Rec Center – 15 minutes
- Waldo Library – 15 minutes
- College of Aviation – 30 minutes (driving)
Suites consist of two rooms that share a connecting bathroom.
A total of four people live in a suite other than on the Shilling Transfer floors, where two people live in a suite.
- Bed and mattress per person–bunkable, loftable (kit in room)
- Two desks
- Two chairs
- Ackely: One 6-drawer dresser to share; Shilling: One 3-drawer dresser
- One recycling bin
What about the bathroom?
- One shower and toilet, partitioned off for privacy
- Counter with two sinks
- Two medicine cabinets with mirrors
- Four towel bars