Services for Alumni

On-campus access to library resources

  • Alumni may use the Western Michigan University Libraries' facilities and collections on site. While visiting the libraries, they may use the materials in the building and access most online resources from our public computers. Learn more about individual libraries and locations.
  • WMU doctoral program graduates can borrow physical items when they present their lifetime borrower card.
  • Alumni who live within a 50-mile radius of Western Michigan University can become a "guest borrower". Present a picture ID with an address and social security number to receive a guest borrower's card, valid for one year and renewable.

Off-campus access to library resources

  • Unfortunately, most publisher license agreements restrict online journals, e-books, databases and other electronic resources to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff, and walk-in users ONLY.
  • Remote access to WMU electronic resources expires when your Bronco NetID expires, 180 days after you leave the University.
  • Most state-supported college and university libraries provide walk-in onsite access to their materials. If you live near a state institution find out what is available to you through them.
  • WMU Libraries provide interlibrary loan service ONLY to currently enrolled students, and faculty and staff. However, many libraries (including public libraries) offer interlibrary loan services to their members. Ask at your local library.
  • Alumni who live within the state of Michigan may be eligible to request delivery of physical items from WMU libraries to your local public library, if your local library participates in the MeLCat statewide delivery system.

Alternative online resources

  • There are a wide variety of databases and electronic books that are available to alumni.
  • Alumni who live in the state of Michigan have access to databases, full-text journals and newspapers through the Michigan Electronic Library (MeL). Log into MeL databases using a Michigan driver's license or other official state ID.
  • Many other states provide "virtual libraries" of databases, journals, newspapers, digitized collections, and other resources for their citizens. Inquire at your local public library or check out their website.