WMU EGL admission criteria
In accordance with the Western Michigan University and Graduate College policies, all applicants are expected to meet the same academic standards required for admission consideration. The minimum academic requirements vary, however, by degree level, discipline and admission type. International applicant requirements are also addressed below.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - The MA in Educational and Global Leadership (EGL) does not require the submission of standardized test scores (i.e., GRE, GMAT, etc.) for admission to the program.
The application can be completed online. Make sure to select Master of Arts in Educational Leadership - Educational and Global Leadership (EGL). Students from any academic major are encouraged to apply. Full and part-time students are also welcomed. The application for graduate admission to the EGL MA program requires the following:
1. An official transcript from the institution from which you received your Bachelor degree is required, as well as transcripts from any institution(s) where any graduate level courses or degrees have been taken/completed.
2. An overall grade point average of at least 3.0 for all undergraduate coursework.
A student who does not meet the above GPA requirement is encouraged to speak to the faculty program coordinator about their concerns. Generally, program faculty look for a record of improved and/or steady academic performance and we need to be confident in a student's ability to not only manage challenging coursework but also the demands of a graduate assistantship and/or field experiences. We will often ask students who fall below this requirement to provide, in writing, an addendum to their written statement to include any pertinent information regarding their past academic performance and anything they may have done to more recently address their previous academic issues to prepare them for graduate study. Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements may be considered but, if admitted, will be admitted on a conditional status with the expectation of receiving and maintaining a 3.0 GPA after the first semester and maintaining that GPA throughout their program.
3. A resume is required and must be submitted within the online application.
4. Written statement: Please prepare a written statement which addresses the information below and submit it within the online application; this written statement will also serve as a writing sample for faculty to review. In approximately three (3) typed, double-spaced pages, address the following areas:
a. Explain why you are interested in pursuing the MA degree in Educational and Global Leadership (EGL);
b. Address how the international emphasis of the program is critical in helping you to achieve your career and professional goals;
c. Discuss any experiences you have had that have helped to prepare you for the EGL program (particularly related to any international experiences);
d. Describe any challenges you anticipate if admitted to the EGL program and how you plan to address them.
5. Three letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation must be obtained from three different individuals who are able to address the applicant’s ability to successfully complete the EGL graduate degree. Suggested references include an academic advisor, current/former program faculty, job supervisors, etc. Once in the online application system, applicants are asked for the names, titles, and contact information for three references. Once the applicant enters this information, the online application system will send those individuals an email link. The recommenders will then be able to submit their responses through the online application system. The online application system does not require a letter of reference; however, EGL faculty strongly recommend that all applicants request their references submit a formal letter of reference into the online application system in addition to completing the online reference form they are prompted to complete.
Applications for international applicants may be due sooner than the above deadlines to the WMU Office of International Admissions and Services in order to process the student's I-20 and other immigration documents. There are no conditional admissions for international applicants.
English language proficiency requirements (international applicants only). Desired minimum English language proficiency scores for this M.A. include: 6.5 on IELTS; 227 on TOEFL (CBT), 567 on TOEFL (PBT), or a 86 on TOEFL (iBt), with the following minimum subscores on the TOEFL (iBT): 20 in reading, 20 in listening, 24 in speaking, and 22 in writing. English proficiency scores may be reported within the online application system and official scores must be sent to the Office of International Admissions and Services.