HESA LEADERSHIP MASTERS Program overview
The higher education and student affairs (HESA) concentration in the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program focuses on developing reflective practitioners for entry- and mid-level positions in higher education. The program emphasizes a practitioner-scholar model to combine a broad-based student development and leadership theory core with required individualized field experiences. Distinctive to the program is an emphasis on the centrality of diversity and inclusiveness in higher education. One of the ways this is actualized is through a required and individually designed diversity cognate. Learn more about the higher education and student affairs leadership concentration.
Application, Admission and HESA Leadership Preview & Interview Days
We look forward to reviewing applications for the HESA class of Fall 2022. The priority deadline is Jan 15, 2022. Students wishing to apply for graduate assistant (GA) positions and to attend the 2022 Virtual HESA Leadership Preview and Interview Days will need submit all application materials by January 15. Prospective HESA master’s students are encouraged to reach out to the HESA program to discuss your interest at email@example.com. Learn more about the HESA Master's admissions requirements.
All admitted students will receive an invitation to attend the WMU Virtual HESA Leadership Preview and Interview Days Program; please visit the Admissions Requirements section of the website for more information about the date and events.
Certificate in higher education and student affairs
The certificate in higher education and student affairs is designed for full-time professionals working in student affairs or related administrative areas who do not have the academic background or training in higher education, or graduate students enrolled in another master’s program who demonstrate commitment to and experience working in higher education.
Why choose WMU HESA?
- A small-cohort based feel.
- We are one of the oldest student affairs graduate programs in the U.S.A. - that means we have a history and an alumni network.
- Can be completed full-time (2-years) or part-time (individually sequenced 3+ years to fit your needs).
- Any undergraduate majors welcomed.
- Practical, hands-on internships that help you network and get you closer to your dream job.
- Emphasizes student development and leadership for a diverse society using coursework, the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI), and internships.
- International internships available as well as study abroad to Canada, Malaysia, India & more!
- Integrates CAS standards and the ACPA/NASPA Professional Competency areas.
- Our graduates find jobs.
- Faculty are involved with students, connected to the profession, and engaged in research.
Alumni information and HESA giving
The HESA alumni are around the world. We love to hear from you. Alumni information, contact forms, opportunities to get involved and the HESA alumni newsletters are below.
HESA Alumni update your information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
HESA students do amazing things! If you would like to support HESA student scholarships, programs and community development, we would love to hear from you. There are three funds that directly support HESA Students. Visit: https://secure.wmualumni.org/s/give
- Select amount and frequency
- Click “search all available funds”
- In the “search for an area to support” box, enter name of fund or the specific code, for example: HESA or Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Development Fund
Funds related to HESA
- SGRI (Paul and Phyllis Griffeth Student Affairs Scholarship) – Supports scholarships for current student recipient demonstrating outstanding promise as a student affairs professional. View past recipients
- HESA (Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership Development Fund) - Supports HESA student programming including student events and leadership activities.
- EGEH (Global Engagement in Higher Education Endowment) – Supports scholarships for activities that will enhance global awareness and participation