The Student Health Advisory Council is a Western Michigan University student-led organization that aims to increase health consciousness throughout the WMU campus community while representing student voices at Sindecuse Health Center.
The following students were elected to lead the council in 2017-18:
Matthew Kornas – president
Sara Femminineo – vice-president
Mackenzie Parsons – secretary
Membership is open to all WMU graduate and undergraduate students in good academic standing. Leaders are elected by the council and have frequent contact with health center staff to plan council efforts. Health center staff support student members with guidance and background on topics before the council and with exposure to careers in health professions. Members of the Student Health Advisory Council will
- Reflect the diversity of the University
- Contribute ideas for improvements to the health center
- Educate students about the services offered by the health center
- Bring student concerns to the attention of health center staff
- Assess and advise on health-related issues in front of the University
- Advocate for and participate in prevention activities that promote healthy choices, skills, and social environments
Tell the council what you think
Use the contact form or email SHC-SHAC@wmich.edu with questions or concerns about campus health or if you have any suggestions about what the council can do to help improve Sindecuse Health Center or health on campus. Council members have also set up a Twitter account and a Facebook page to update followers about their activities and to invite student input.
Join the Council
Students who have an interest in health issues or are pursuing a career in health-related fields are invited to join this student-led group which is facilitated by Sindecuse staff. Applications are accepted in January of each year for membership. Once accepted, members are expected to attend monthly meetings starting in March of spring semester with active membership lasting one academic year from the following September to April.
Benefits of membership
SHAC members enjoy a chance to:
- Join a community of motivated students who share similar goals
- See new perspectives with an interdisciplinary group of WMU students
- Build professional relationships with health center staf
- Apply knowledge gained from coursework to real-life situations
- Be a voice for students around health—as a resource and an advocate.
- Put their passion to use!